Sunday, November 21, 2010

I Love Your Work


"What do you do?"
"I write about things that never happened."
"Why do you do that?"
"Because I am a coward."
- the Writer

"What do you do?"
"I pretend to be some one I'm not."
"Why do you do that?"
"Because I am a child."
- the Actor

"With writers you can talk about anything and the entire time they are secretly evaluating your "intelligence"--whether what you think about things is aesthetically congruent with what they think about things. It's a much more total form of surveillance than with painters. You meet a painter and the first thing they say is 'What's your work like?' That's all they care about. Every social event is a crit. It's the realization of modern conservatory painting. You dispose with the object entirely. You just produce discourse, and then they produce discourse about your discourse, all in order to regulate your sexual relationships. That's why I like Tahitian women: they never ask me about my work."
- Paul Gauguin

"You have no idea what this place means to me."
"Nor do I want to. Nor do I care."
- the farmer, the IDF

No comments:

Post a Comment