Sunday, April 11, 2010

Analects on Harmonious Society

"I'd rape you just to establish my dominance, if only you weren't so fucking ugly."
- US Supreme Court Justice Ruth Joan Bader Ginsburg

"I am not a man of blood; and God is my witness that in all my wars I have never been the aggressor, and that my enemies have always been the authors of their own calamity." - Ken Salazar

"James Brown is the only proper noun." - James Brown

"Although many single mothers do an absolutely wonderful job in raising their children, common sense and most academic findings suggest that having a father present during the raising of children generally has a positive effect on the development of non-cognitive traits of children. These include a general respect for authority and reduced rebelliousness in school, the avoidance of gangs and other criminal activities, and, most importantly, their potential to become wealthy." - Gary Becker

"White masculinity, as I understand it, can be summed up in three films: Get Carter, Five Easy Pieces, and Le cercle rouge.
- James Baldwin

"Eldridge Cleaver, what a hick and a coward." - Chelsea Clinton

"The day everything changed for me is when I realized that when I flushed the toilet all that stuff went somewhere." - Paul Krugman

"That's the essence of Friedman, isn't it?: a mall in Hawaii."
- Michael Polanyi

"We need nationalist distraction!" - Jackie Chan

"Lawyerin sure can be evil!" - Jack Warden

"Girls can't do math." - Lawrence Summers

"Philip K Dick was right, we're all fucked." - Steve Jobs

"The lawless murder of Afrikaaner farmers, which has so alarmingly increased in the past five years, goes against everything I suffered and fought for as president of this Republic, as leader of the anti-apartheid movement, as a prisoner in jail for four decades, and, yes, even as a freedom fighter who used terrorist tactics to bring an end to inequality. But Eugène Terre'Blanche? You want me to feel sorry for him?" - Nelson Mandela

"Floods wash away villages in myanmar
on venice's grand canal in a kayak
31 places to go this summer: a list of great summer
vacations that don't require euros. cult of cluster
bombing a 24 karat olympic machine--
'I'm not the guy you kill, i'm the one you buy'"
- from Thomas Friedman's diary of daily poetry

"I'll never be a real man until I've read all of Chandler, Hammett, and Cain." - from the prison diaries of Roberto Bolaño

"I mean what would it come to? If a person has no love for himself, no respect for himself, no love of his friends, family, work, something... how can he ask for love in return? I mean, why should he ask for it?"
- from the diary of Milton Friedman

No comments:

Post a Comment